Reporting error when a different locale is used for SRS and Console

Today I encountered an annoying bug. I needed to edit a previously scheduled report, but when I tried to edit the schedule I wasn’t able to complete the wizard. The error was:

"Cannot initialize report"

Value of ’01/01/0001 00:00:00′ is not valid for ‘Value’. ‘Value’ should be between ‘MinDate’ and ‘MaxDate’.


This turned out to be a localization issue. My SRS is ENU, while the client I was using the console on is in Italian (ITA). When the wizard tries to read the report parameters, in this case the time window, SRS returns the date in ENU format but the console expect it in ITA, hence the exception.

In this case you need to temporarily change the Region and language format on the client and turn it to ENU, launch the console and then reset it to Italian. The console reads the locale settings just on startup so it’s safe to revert it back.


Satya this one is for you :-).

– Daniele

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

  1. #1 by Blake Wilson (@blaketheitguy) on October 14, 2015 - 10:04 pm

    In case anyone else is struggling with this, I may have a helpful tip. I checked the localization on my SRS server and the server that I was running the report against, and they matched. I then checked my DataWarehouse server and bingo it wasn’t set correctly. FYI I have all 3 Formats to English (United States) and my Location set to United Kingdom, as this management group is in the UK. Hope that helps.

  2. #2 by Marco Carraro on May 17, 2012 - 3:25 pm

    I have the same problem with System Center 2012 – Operation Manager.
    SCOM in installed on W2008R2 SP1 and SSRS is installed on another machine with the same OS.
    If I set the format date on Operation Manager in english format (MM/dd/yyyy) all works good. If I set english format on both machine all works good.
    I want to use the Italian date format (dd/MM/yyyy)

    Any ideas?

    • #3 by Daniele Grandini on May 19, 2012 - 11:30 am

      Hi Marco, I know, you’re right the bug is still there. I didn’t find any solution, just the workaround of using the console with the dates in ENU format…

  3. #4 by mysehnsucht on February 7, 2012 - 11:28 am

    Hi Daniele

    Thank you for the response. However, we have ensured all systems are using the US locale, and it is still an issue. The reports run as scheduled, so I am not too concerned – but would still like a fix, as we do, on occassion need to update the schedules.
    I will let you know if I find a fix :)

    • #5 by Daniele Grandini on February 8, 2012 - 9:13 am

      hum, just to be sure we’re on the same page: I’m talkning about the issue you encounter when opening a new report from the reporting workspace, and I’m sure this oone is solved with the locale workaround ( If you’re talking about the issue opening a scheduled report that’s another story, in this post I was talking about an issue with SCOM 2007 R2 RTM with SQL 2008. If you’re using OpsMgr 2007 R2 CU3+ on SQL 2008 R2 (I don’t know if the same issue is reprodicibile with SQL 2008) then there’s another issue related to the encoding of the XML document SSRS returns to OpsMgr, alas there’s no workaround until CU6.
      – Daniele

  4. #6 by mysehnsucht on February 2, 2012 - 2:02 pm


    We have the same problem, and have tried changing the regional settings, the short date format, the AM/PM formatting, with no avail. Should we be restarting services or anything to facilitate?

    • #7 by mysehnsucht on February 2, 2012 - 2:03 pm

      I should add that this is on Windows 2008 R2 with SQL 2008 R2 Sp1, CU5

      • #8 by Daniele Grandini on February 2, 2012 - 3:43 pm

        this is “normal” when there’s a miasmatch between the server locale (let’s say en_us) and the locale of the system you’re running the console on. To work around the issue you need to match the locale of the system you’re runing the console on to the server locale, so if you change your locale to en-us and restart the operations manager console you’ll be able to open your reports.

        – Daniele

  1. SCOM 2007 R2 – Reporting : Value of '1/01/0001 12:00:00 AM' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'MinDate' and 'MaxDate' - Christopher's System Center Blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: