I’ve been on vacation a couple of weeks and gosh Azure is running faster than ever with updates, the following are my picks for the July/August time frame:
- Azure in-place virtual machine migration eliminates reboots during critical security updates as you know Azure doesn’t have live migration, so when a host is patched the guest VMs experience a downtime. Well I must say experienced a downtime, with this new introduction VMs are basically set in save state and restored in about 30″. Still be aware that can be time issues if the freeze last more than a couple of minutes and thus you can experience Kerberos authentication issues.
- VNet Peering for Azure Virtual Network no more S2S VPNs between vNet in the same region.
- MSOMS Network Performance Monitor is now in preview. It requires some manual configuration but it’s worth a try
–Azure Active Directory authentication for SQL Database and SQL Data Warehouse now you can authenticate using Azure AD in SQL and SQL DW
- Just in case you missed it Azure Security Center is now GA as well as Azure AD B2C
- and if you use dev test lab, just check in the portal all the new features that have been added: personal secret store, VM expiration, custom cost tracking